Children and Youth Religious Education (CYRE)
Our Children and Youth Religious Education (CYRE) Committee is open to all; whether you have children in the CYRE program or not, the committee is always looking for people to teach classes and/or volunteers to help with family-friendly activities. The committee is not currently meeting at a regular time, but if you have any questions and/or would like to join the committee, please contact our Director of Religious Education, Somaya Bernard, re @ mvuuf.org.
CYRE CLASSES & EVENTS CALENDAR THIS SUMMER
SUN 21st PreK-5th Grade Classes
SUN 28th CYRE Family Event: Tie Dye Family Event @ MVUUF, 2:30 PM
SUN 4th NO classes/activities this week
SUN 11th Worship For All Ages: Water Communion
SUN 18th Classes begin for our 2022-2023 Program Year (nursery included)
If you haven’t already, please register so we have an idea of who is in the program this year and are able to get information to you. Click on this registration link. And as always, you may contact Somaya Bernard, our Director of Religious Education, at re @ mvuuf. org.
CONNECTING WITH MVUUF
Whether you are an “old” member, a newcomer, a long-time friend, or an occasional visitor, you are reading this because you are somehow “connected” to the Miami Valley UU Fellowship. We are glad you are here! We are trying something new to help more of us become connected to the fellowship in a meaningful way. You know we have a lot to offer, and we know you have something to offer us, but how best to find your niche? The hope is that I can help you on that journey.
Send an email to connection @ mvuuf.org and it will magically appear in my email. If you put the word “connection” in the subject line, I’ll know that it is VERY important, and I’ll read it immediately. You may ask questions, tell me about yourself, include your phone number if you’d like to talk, and we will begin searching together. Unitarian Universalism can open your eyes and your heart and MVUUF is “where it’s at” in Dayton.
In the spirit,
Diane Colvin, Connection Coordinator
SEEKING TECHIES & AUDIO-VISUAL PRODUCERS
We are seeking folks who might be interested in being part of our Multi-Platform Task Force. This is the group of individuals who are supporting our multi-platform services.
- If you have ever pointed a camera or smart phone at something to take a picture or video, that qualifies you. We will have a need for a variety of technical skills levels.
- If you think technology is fun to play with, you have officially found your tribe.
- If you have experience working with AV equipment, Zoom or other virtual meeting tools, or OBS (open broadcast system), we definitely could use your help.
Multi-platform options are important to ensure we can include our members and friends who cannot attend in person, whether that is due to distance, health, schedules, or any challenge.
We are currently using a camera called the Logitech Mevo. It is very compact and easy to use. It takes a little bit of agility to screw it onto its floor stand, but after that you use an “app”, and it is as simple to operate as tapping on a smart phone screen. Detailed instruction and practice is provided.
If you are curious about how this works, we would love to show you more. Please contact Garlene Staton at Producer @ mvuuf.org if you are interested or have questions.
Public Statement, and Programming Around Anti-Racism
In light of George Floyd’s murder by Minneapolis police on May 25th, 2020, the Miami Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship is issuing a public statement to the community, and we offer resources to assist us in the processes of mourning, learning, and action.
As Unitarian Universalists, we believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every human being. We believe that we are all connected to one another: what affects one of us, affects all of us. Our Unitarian Universalist faith calls us to commit our time, resources, and hearts to the important work of ending police violence and all other parts of our country’s systemic anti-Blackness. Our faith calls us to do this today—not tomorrow or some distant someday.
- As people of faith, Unitarian Universalists affirm the inherent worth and dignity of all persons and work for social justice to embody that dignity.
- We condemn racist police practices that deny Black people in this country human rights and, in the case of Breonna Taylor and George Floyd and so many before them, the very breath of life.
- It has gone on far too long.
- We side with the families of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd in love and we side with all impacted by murder and other violence as a tool of oppression by people of power.
- We urge the greater Dayton community to reflect deeply on our criminal justice system and how to transform it into one of restorative justice that is safer for everyone.
- This is the time to join with others to raise our voices and stop this oppression by police and by white vigilantes.
- Holding police accountable is an essential step.
- Recognizing that racist police practices are a symptom of pervasive and systemic racism in our national culture and institutions, we re-commit ourselves to anti-racism work.
Miami Valley Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
Rachel Feltner, Board President
Rev. Kellie C. Kelly, Called Minister
Alice Diebel, Affiliated Community Minister
Anti-Racism Ally Group
Are you a white person with questions, ideas, concerns or just want a place to have discussions about what is going on? Then please join our Anti-Racism Ally group. Each meeting will allow for learning, actively practicing being allies, open discussion, and creating actions we can take to follow and support Black, Indigenous and all People of Color (BIPOC) in our congregation as well as residents in the larger community.
This group typically meets on the 4th Thursday evening of the month, online. There will NOT be group meetings in June and July, and we are currently discerning if the group will continue meeting in August. We will let you know what our next steps will be through our Friday eBlasts and monthly Forum.
If you have questions, you are welcome to contact the group Co-Leaders, Kristen at KristenBeireis @ gmail.com or Bill at rossviva @ hotmail.com.